Learn the rudiments of good communication—writing, graphic design, interactive communication, and oral presentation. Take part in the many facets of producing campaign materials, brochures, newsletters, and press releases, and then take on event planning and news conferences as you build a foundation for your chosen career.
By the time you graduate, you’ll be equipped with the technical skills you need to break into the PR field and the management skills you’ll need to advance in the professional arena.
Long recognized as one of the elite schools of mass communication, Newhouse embraces virtually every known form of information dissemination. Programs are rooted in the liberal arts while you learn how to manage and produce for the mass media and other areas of public communications.
Sample courses for public relations majors include:
- Advertising and Public Relations Law
- The Ethics of Advocacy
- Public Relations Campaign Planning and Execution
- Public Relations Principles and Concepts
- Public Relations Research
- Writing for News and Public Relations in a Digital Age
- During your senior year, you will be immersed in top-level PR operations in New York City during a faculty-sponsored visit. Meet with the industry’s major players for advice and insight on portfolio building and employment opportunities.
- Join Hill Communications—Syracuse University’s student-run PR firm affiliated with the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Hill Comm provides communications services for a diverse group of clients.
- There are 18 student-run campus publications you can contribute to as a public relations major. You can also collaborate with students from other majors as you complete projects for public relations and advertising campaigns.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through Syracuse Abroad, with more than 100 programs in 60 countries. You can choose from semester, summer, short-term, and yearlong options.
Public relations majors most often go abroad to Syracuse centers in Florence, Hong Kong, London, and Madrid, and to World Partner programs including, among others, CEA Prague, FU-BEST Freie University Berlin, Tel Aviv University, the University of New South Wales, and Yonsei University (Seoul).
Summer programs of interest may include Race, Gender, and the Media (London).
Life After Syracuse University
As a Newhouse graduate with a major in Public Relations, you can explore such careers as:
- Public relations manager/director
- Director of corporate communications
- Event planner
- Director of community relations
- Account coordinator/executive/manager
- Marketing communications manager
You can also pursue graduate training in such areas as corporate communications, public relations entrepreneurship, image management, and more. Recent graduates of the program have attended some of the top graduate schools in the U.S.