The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration and international relations. It includes America’s #1 ranked graduate program in public affairs, offering highly regarded professional degrees alongside advanced scholarly degrees in the social sciences, and it is home to undergraduate programs across the full spectrum of social sciences.
CoursesCore coursework encompasses economics, history, and politics. Sample courses include:
- American State & Local Government & Politics
- Comparative Government & Politics
- International Relations
- Political Theory
- Sexuality & the Law
- Politics in the Cyber-Age
Practical ExperienceExperiential and real-world learning opportunities are highly beneficial to students enrolled in the political science major.
- Intern and take courses with professors who work in the policymaking community during a Maxwell-In-Washington semester.
- Challenge yourself as a Renée Crown University Honors student.
- Attend University lectures and network with resident and visiting experts.
- Get involved in political and policy matters as a member of the College Republicans or College Democrats clubs.
Study AbroadRecognized as one of the top international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad is a significant part of the Syracuse experience. With over 100 programs in 60 countries, almost half of all students go abroad during their time at Syracuse.
Life After Syracuse UniversityWith a degree in political science you can explore such careers as:
- News correspondent
- Political scientist
- Public interest advocate
- Public interest lawyer