This interdisciplinary program is designed to promote awareness and understanding of the many issues faced by the Latino and Latin American peoples of the western hemisphere.
Our faculty come from several departments and provide a stimulating entry into the interrelated worlds of Latino America and Latin America. Graduates of the program leave prepared for a number of careers in public interest, government and foreign affairs, education and the private sector.
About the College of Arts and Sciences
The founding college of Syracuse University remains at the center of undergraduate learning. The College is divided into the natural sciences and mathematics, the humanities, and the social sciences, with the lattermost offered in partnership with the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
CoursesCore coursework covers Spanish, anthropology, and history. Sample courses include:
- South American Cultures
- Globalization and its Discontents in Latin America
- Politics of Latin America
- Nobel Prize Writers of the Spanish-Speaking World
- Women, Myth, and Nation in Latin American Literature
- Hispanic Caribbean Narrative and Film
Practical ExperienceBoost your coursework through experiential and real-world learning opportunities.
- Affect change for the Latino community as a member of La L.U.C.H.A. (Latino Undergraduates Creating History in America).
- Enhance your academic experience as a Renée Crown University Honors student.
- Attend University lectures and network with resident and visiting experts.
- Contribute to faculty research.
Study AbroadWell-known among the top international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad is a storied part of the Syracuse experience. With over 100 programs in 60 countries, almost half of all students go abroad during their time at Syracuse.
Latino-Latin American Studies majors most often go abroad to the Syracuse University Santiago Center and to our World Partner program CET Brazil (Sao Paulo).
Life After Syracuse UniversityWith a degree in Latino-Latin American studies you can explore such careers as:
- Community activist
- Foreign service officer
- Public interest advocate