The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration and international relations. It includes America’s #1 ranked graduate program in public affairs, offering highly regarded professional degrees alongside advanced scholarly degrees in the social sciences, and it is home to undergraduate programs across the full spectrum of social sciences.
CoursesCore coursework focuses on the environmental, human, and physical dynamics of the world around us. Sample courses include:
- World Cultures
- The Geography of Climate and Weather
- Geographies of Environmental Justice
- Gender in a Globalizing World
- Political Geography
- Environmental GIS
Practical ExperienceTake part in real-world learning opportunities that will enhance your experience.
- Get hands-on experience as an intern at leading environmental and urban planning firms and in our Community Geography program.
- Organize geography-related events such as films and outings as a member of the Geography Club.
- Conduct your own research with Geography faculty or through an undergraduate thesis.
- Supplement your learning and networking experiences as a Renée Crown University Honors student.
Study AbroadConsistently ranked among the top international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad is a storied part of the Syracuse experience. With over 100 programs in 60 countries, nearly half of all students go abroad during their four years.
Life After Syracuse UniversityWith a degree in geography you can explore careers such as:
- Environmental consulting or advocacy
- Policy consultant
- GIS specialist or surveyor
- Urban and regional planners
- Community organizer