Your coursework will prepare you for the professional training you’ll receive in a master’s degree program in either speech-language pathology or audiology.
As a speech-language pathologist, you’ll diagnose and evaluate speech problems, such as fluency (stuttering), articulation, voice disorders, and language problems.
As an audiologist, you’ll study normal and impaired hearing, as well as prevention of hearing loss. You’ll also identify and assess hearing problems, and help rehabilitate individuals with hearing impairment.
You also have the option to pursue the neuroscience integrated learning major that requires an additional 24 credits.
At the undergraduate level, you will not specialize in either speech-language pathology or audiology; the degree is a general one in communication sciences and disorders. However, flexibility in the program does allow students to pursue any specific interests within the field. Sample courses include:
- Fundamentals of Hearing Sciences
- Cognitive Neuroscience of Speech and Language
- Aural Rehabilitation
- Speech-Language Pathology in School Settings
In addition to coursework, the CSD major provides extensive field and extracurricular opportunities so students can get hands-on experience in the industry.
- Sharpen your clinical skills by observing diagnosis and treatment of clients with a wide variety of disorders.
- Through the preschool screening program, gain experience identifying children who may be at risk for speech, language, or hearing problems.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with a study abroad experience during your college years. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., SU Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
Life After Syracuse University
In addition to becoming a speech pathologist or audiologist, you can use your skills to:
- Administer or manage agencies, clinics, or private practices
- Engage in research to enhance knowledge about human communication processes
- Develop new testing methods and equipment
- Establish effective treatment programs
Or pursue a graduate degree in another field, including medicine, biology, education, public health, public administration, and more. Recent graduates of the program have attended some of the top graduate schools in the U.S.