By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Student Grievance Processes

Syracuse University makes every effort to resolve student complaints within the University, usually at the school/college or department level, using policies and procedures outlined in the University Course Catalog, the Student Handbook, College of Law Academic Handbook, or on the University Policies page. 

Students have the right to utilize any and all such administrative procedures to address concerns and/complaints in a timely a manner as possible. For procedures regarding:


If you have concerns about a course grade and are considering an appeal of that grade, please see Academic Rules: 8.4.6 Grade s Appeals .

Information on how to file a complaint is available at  Academic Integrity Policy  under Reporting an Academic Integrity Violation.

For academic complaints not related to grades or academic integrity, please contact the department chair or academic dean for assistance.

Violation of Non-Discrimination Policy

If you are interested in filing an alleged violation of the University’s Policy on Non-Discrimination, information can be found in the Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services (EOIRS) website at Report a Concern .

Americans with Disabilities Act

If you have a concern regarding academic accommodations or access to programs/services, please visit the Office of Disability Services .

If you feel you have been discriminated against based on a disability and are interested in filing a complaint or obtaining more information about your rights please visit EOIRS’s Report a Concern  page.

Bias-Related Incidents

If you have experienced or witnessed a bias-related incident and you would like more information on reporting the incident via an anonymous web-based reporting tool please visit STOP Bias .

Code of Conduct

If your concern relates to an alleged violation of the Code of Student Conduct, information about the conduct process for students and information on how to file a complaint can be found at the  Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities . The College of Law’s Code of Student Conduct, including grievance procedures, can be found in the Academic Handbook .

Criminal Activity

If you were the victim of or witnessed criminal activity on campus and wish to file a report, please call the Department of Public Safety at 315.443.3728 or visit  Report a Crime  for more information.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

Any student who has reason to believe that the University is not complying with FERPA or this policy should inform the University Registrar in writing. The Registrar shall promptly review all such allegations and initiate appropriate actions. For further information see Student Privacy Rights (FERPA) .

Title IX

If you have experienced or witnessed an incident of sexual discrimination including sexual harassment you can obtain information on the process for filing a report by visiting EOIRS’s Report a Concern page.

University Ombuds

Provides faculty, staff and graduate students with an informal, confidential, impartial and independent resource to address concerns or questions openly without fear of retaliation or judgment. Please visit the University Ombuds page.

Other Complaint Processes for Students

For concerns not addressed in the previously listed topic areas, please consult the  Syracuse University Grievance Procedures Policy . The Graduate School’s Grievance Resolution process for graduate students is available on the Policies and Requirements page. Complaint and grievance processes begin and are typically resolved at the department or school/college level.

If a complaint is not resolved satisfactorily internally (within the University), then students may file a complaint with the New York State Education Department (NYSED) which oversees higher education in New York. Their complaint process can be found at:…INFO.html .

Complaints may also be filed with the University’s accrediting agency, Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The Commission reviews complaints about substantive matters that are related to the quality of the institution or its academic programs.

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
1007 North Orange Street, 4th Floor, MB #166, Wilmington, DE 19801
Email:  Spanish:  españ
General link:

This information is provided in compliance with the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 34, §668.43(b)…se34.3.668_143&rgn=div8 .