Three admission plans are offered: Early Decision, Regular Decision and Spring Enrollment. You can apply for single, dual or combined enrollment. Here are the most frequently asked questions regarding undergraduate admissions at Syracuse University:
- How do I monitor the status of my application materials online?
- What are your requirements for admission?
- Do you offer merit scholarships?
- When should I apply for financial aid?
- How much is the application fee? Can I receive a fee waiver?
- Do I need to submit a portfolio? If it's not required, can I still send in extra portfolio materials? (Specifically Common App arts supplement)
- Should I apply to Syracuse University through the Early Decision plan?
- Does Syracuse require SAT Subject Tests?
- Are students able to change their mind about using test scores in the evaluation of their application?
- Will students who do not submit SAT/ACT scores be eligible for merit scholarships?
- Does Syracuse require the writing/essay sections of the SAT/ACT?
- Does Syracuse University weigh my application differently if I take the SAT or ACT more than once?
- Do you accept AP, IB or college credits taken in high school?
- What is the minimum GPA and SAT/ACT score required for admission?
- Is an interview required?
- Can I receive a second bachelor's degree?
- Do you have part-time or online study?
- Does Syracuse offer summer programs for high school students?
- Can I apply if I have earned a GED?
- If I am accepted during Early Decision, can I have an extension on the Feb. 15 reply deadline?
- What are your homeschool requirements?
- If I will complete most or all of my high school requirements as a junior, can I apply as a high school junior?
- What is the total cost of attendance?
- Does the program I'm interested in offer a professional license, certification or other credentials?
How do I monitor the status of my application materials online?
You may access your application status online through your applicant portal. Once your application is uploaded on our system you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to check your application status online.
Please allow three to four days from the date you submit your Common Application to receive confirmation of receipt from Syracuse University.
What are your requirements for admission?
View a complete list of requirements for first-year and transfer admission. Additional requirements for international students as well as college-specific requirements are also available.
Do you offer merit scholarships?
All students who submit completed applications for admission at Syracuse University are considered for merit scholarships. No separate application is needed.
When should I apply for financial aid?
U.S. Citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply for federal financial aid. Review the financial aid application requirements and deadlines. File your financial aid applications at the same time as your admissions application; do not wait for an admission decision. Federal financial aid will be disbursed to the student account when all financial aid and admission requirements are met, including receipt of official degree bearing transcripts.
Syracuse University requires both the FAFSA and the CSS PROFILE applications.
How much is the application fee? Can I receive a fee waiver?
The application fee is $85. There are a few ways to receive a fee waiver:
- Students who received an SAT or ACT fee waiver may forward a copy to our office;
- If you have received a waiver from NACAC, we will accept this;
- School counselors may request an application fee waiver for students for whom it would present a financial hardship. This request must come in writing on school letterhead and may be submitted as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any current or former member of the United States military (Veteran, Active-Duty, National Guard, Reserve or Early Commissioning Program) will have their application fee automatically waived by completing the Veterans and Military Students Application.
To submit the application if you have a fee waiver: In the "Profile" section of the Common Application you will indicate and sign that you qualify for a fee waiver, based on the indicators of economic need listed in this section. This will allow you to submit your application without paying the fee. Once you submit your application, be sure to submit the appropriate documentation to Syracuse University to show that you qualify for the fee waiver.
Do I need to submit a portfolio? If it's not required, can I still send in extra portfolio materials? (Specifically Common App arts supplement)
A few academic programs at Syracuse require portfolios. Please view our college-specific requirements to see if this applies to your program of interest.
Syracuse only accepts portfolios and auditions for the Department of Drama and School of Art and Design through the Art Supplement section of the Common Application, if not completed in person. More information about submitting the required portfolio or audition can be found online:
- College of Visual and Performing Arts (programs in art & design, drama, and music)
- School of Architecture
Due to the volume of applications and supporting materials we receive each year, we cannot accept portfolio materials that are not required as part of the application process.
Should I apply to Syracuse University through the Early Decision plan?
If Syracuse University is your first choice, you should seriously consider applying through the Early Decision option. As an Early Decision candidate, if admitted to your first choice college, you agree to enroll at Syracuse University. The admission criteria is the same at Syracuse for early and regular decision candidates. Learn more about your enrollment options.
Does Syracuse require SAT Subject Tests?
No, we do not require SAT Subject Tests. Students need to submit either their SAT or ACT test scores.
SAT/ACT scores will not be required for students applying for fall 2022 admission.
Are students able to change their mind about using test scores in the evaluation of their application?
Yes. Students are able to change the response to the test-optional question. The request must be submitted no later than December 1 for early decision or February 1 for regular decision. Students can request a change to the test-optional question by emailing email@example.com using the subject line Change Test-Optional.
Will students who do not submit SAT/ACT scores be eligible for merit scholarships?
Yes, all students, whether they submit SAT/ACT scores for fall 2023 or not, will be automatically considered for merit scholarships.
Does Syracuse require the writing/essay sections of the SAT/ACT?
No, we do not require these sections.
Does Syracuse University weigh my application differently if I take the SAT or ACT more than once?
No, the Admissions Committee will consider the highest score you have achieved on either the SAT or ACT.
Do you accept AP, IB or college credits taken in high school?
Yes, each individual college at Syracuse University evaluates AP, IB and college credits. View a list of AP and IB scores required for credit.
What is the minimum GPA and SAT/ACT score required for admission?
There is no minimum GPA or standardized test score required for admission. Applicants to Syracuse University present a variety of academic and extracurricular credentials. The Admissions Committee will review your application individually, taking into account your academic credentials, as well as your unique personal qualities. For students entering the University in the fall semester of 2020, the average GPA was 3.67
Is an interview required?
No, interviews are not required of applicants. However, this face-to-face meeting with an admissions representative is an ideal way to further personalize your application. Interested students may request a personal interview during the summer or fall.
Can I receive a second bachelor's degree?
Yes, students can pursue a second bachelor’s degree in a program of study unlike the previous degree received. Students interested in earning a second bachelor’s degree should review the Financial Aid policy and information in the course catalog, and then contact the Office of Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you have part-time or online study?
Yes, Syracuse’s College of Professional Studies offers part-time students opportunities to earn undergraduate and graduate degrees. Learn more about about part-time study.
Online part-time undergraduate degrees are also available through the College of Professional Studies. Classes are fully online with interactive live sessions that meet weekly. For more information, please contact the College of Professional Studies at 315.443.9378.
Does Syracuse offer summer programs for high school students?
Yes, high school students can take classes during the summer. Learn more about Summer College for high school students.
Can I apply if I have earned a GED?
We will consider applications from students who have earned their GED. Students with their GED must submit an official high school transcript for the grades completed, along with official SAT or ACT scores.
If I am accepted during Early Decision, can I have an extension on the Feb. 15 reply deadline?
If you are accepted to your first-choice college at Syracuse University under the Early Decision plan, you must respond no later than February 15 to secure your place in the class.
What are your homeschool requirements?
Syracuse University is happy to receive applications for admission from students educated within their home environment. Learn more about our homeschool requirements and procedures.
If I will complete most or all of my high school requirements as a junior, can I apply as a high school junior?
We do offer Early Admission for secondary school juniors who have completed all but a few secondary school course requirements for graduation. Students are admitted directly to the University without a secondary school diploma. It is the responsibility of students to meet the requirements to obtain a diploma from their secondary school at the end of their first year at Syracuse. Early Admission candidates should contact the Office of Admissions for more information and to set up a personal interview. Secondary school juniors who will finish all of their graduation requirements early should apply under the Regular Decision Plan.
What is the total cost of attendance?
View the Cost of Attendance for Syracuse University.
Does the program I'm interested in offer a professional license, certification or other credentials?
View a full list of programs offering professional licensure or a path to professional licensure.