Funding Requirements

The United States government requires international students to demonstrate sufficient funding for at least the first year of graduate study. Once you’ve done this, Syracuse University can issue the visa eligibility document that you’ll need to have your student visa authorized.

If you are a privately sponsored applicant, you’ll need to demonstrate acceptable evidence of your funding. This consists of a certified current bank statement on official bank letterhead, signed by an authorized bank official, that indicates sufficient funds exist to meet at least first-year expenses in U.S. dollars as per Syracuse University’s current estimate.

If you are a government-sponsored applicant, you’ll need to submit an original award letter (or a certified copy of an award letter). The letter must state the annual amount of the award in U.S. dollars. All financial documents must be written in English and valid within one year of the start of the semester. You may email the document per the instructions below.

If you would like to email funding documentation, please send it to Be sure to include your name, date of birth, name of the program you are applying to, and your SUID number (if known) on all of the documents you send. You may wish to contact or visit the website of the Center for International Students for additional information.

View the estimated cost of attendance