By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

The U.S. government requires international students to demonstrate sufficient funding for at least the first year of graduate study.

Once you’ve demonstrated sufficient funding, we can issue the visa eligibility document that you’ll need to have your student visa authorized.

If you are a privately sponsored applicant, you will need to demonstrate acceptable evidence of your funding. This consists of a certified current bank statement on official bank letterhead, signed by an authorized bank official, indicating sufficient funds exist to meet at least first-year expenses in U.S. dollars as per Syracuse University’s current estimate.

Educational loans are acceptable for submission as proof of financial support. Sanctioned loan letters must be accompanied by terms and conditions and clearly indicate the loan as "approved" or "sanctioned." The letter must be in English and on official bank or institution letterhead. The principal of the loan amount given is to be provided in U.S. dollars and include a date of issuance.

If you are a government-sponsored applicant, you’ll need to submit an original award letter (or a certified copy of an award letter). The letter must state the annual amount of the award in U.S. dollars. All financial documents must be written in English and valid within one year of the start of the semester. You may email the document per the instructions below.

If you would like to email funding documentation, please send it to Be sure to include your name, date of birth, name of the program you are applying to, and your SUID number (if known) on all of the documents you send. You may wish to contact or visit the website of the Center for International Students for additional information.