Engineering gives me the tools to solve problems I didn’t even know existed and can give society the solutions to things we’ve been struggling with. I love knowing that if something was designed, an engineer had a hand in it.
About the College of Engineering and Computer Science
Future engineers and computer scientists learn to create new knowledge and technologies through ten undergraduate majors. Students have access to nationally regarded research centers, state-of-the-art lab spaces, and challenging internships.
CoursesSample courses for mechanical engineering majors include:
- Introduction to Robotics
- Machine Design
- Application of Acoustics
- Engineering Computational Tools
- Fuel Cell Science and Technology
- Fluid Mechanics
Practical ExperienceThe mechanical engineering major offers the flexibility you need to broaden the scope of your education.
- Pursue experiential learning opportunities through professional, paid work experience in your field and still graduate in four years.
- Collaborate with faculty on research projects at on- and off-campus institutes and labs, including the Center for Environmental Systems Engineering (CESE) – 22,000 square feet of newly constructed core laboratories and individual faculty laboratories, and the Syracuse Center of Excellence .
- Join one of over 20 co-curricular organizations like Engineers Without Borders and WiSE (Women in Science and Engineering).
- The Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET accredits Syracuse University's B.S. in mechanical engineering.
- The 5-year John Riley Dual Engineering/MBA Program allows you to earn a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering and an MBA from Syracuse University’s Whitman School of Management.
- The 4+1 B.S./M.S. Program allows you to earn a master’s degree in mechanical engineering one year after successful completion of the bachelor’s degree.
Study AbroadBroaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through Syracuse Abroad , with more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
Life After Syracuse UniversityAs a College of Engineering and Computer Science graduate with a major in mechanical engineering, you can explore such careers as:
- Aerospace engineer
- Engineering technician
- Engineering and science manager
- Industrial engineer
- Mechanical engineer