Our encompassing approach enables you to tailor your major to your interests and aspirations, paving the way for a variety of careers in government, international organizations, law, business and non-profit institutions, and academia.
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs is Syracuse University’s home for innovative, interdisciplinary teaching and research in the social sciences, public policy, public administration, and international relations. It includes America’s #1 ranked graduate program in public affairs, offering highly regarded professional degrees alongside advanced scholarly degrees in the social sciences; and it is home to undergraduate programs across the full spectrum of social sciences.
- Required introductory coursework
- Coursework in a regional concentration
- Coursework in a topic concentration
- Research methodology
- Foreign language competency
- Senior seminar and capstone research project
- Apply your studies to the world through studying abroad or with the Maxwell-in-Washington Program.
- Gain hands-on experience in professional writing and public speaking by participating in national conferences, Model United Nations, and through IR senior seminars.
- Engage in an enhanced research and mentoring experience through the International Relations Distinction Program.
- Network with other students interested in international affairs as part of the International Relations Club, through co-curricular activities, or through the IR Learning Community.
- Benefit from accessible and specialized academic advising and professional development workshops.
Listed among the top international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad is a signature part of the Syracuse experience.
International Relations majors can choose almost any study abroad program, and often choose their program based upon their area of concentration.
Summer programs of interest may include Religion, Law, and Human Rights: A Comparative Perspective (Strasbourg), Summer Internships in Strasbourg, Middle East Policy and Security Studies (Israel), and Revolutions, War, and the Prospects for Democracy in the Middle East (Dubai, UAE).
Life After Syracuse University
A degree in international relations unlocks careers in such areas as:
- International business consultancy
- Government service
- Journalism and communications
- Law and advocacy
Or earn a graduate degree in international affairs, law, education, business, or political science.