About the School of Education
The School of Education is a national leader in enhancing educational practice. A pioneer in the inclusion movement, the School of Education continues that tradition through its work to improve urban education.
CoursesCore coursework highlights curriculum development, educational leadership, and teaching methods. Sample courses include:
- Principles of Learning in Inclusive Classrooms
- Methods and Curriculum in Teaching English
- Adapting Instruction for Diverse Student Needs
- History of the English Language
- Community Outreach: Language in Action
Practical ExperienceStudents enrolled in the English education major have access to many experiential learning opportunities.
- Work with children in urban, suburban, and rural settings during extensive field placements.
- Gain in-class experience teaching English in classrooms around the world through short-term study abroad programs.
- Build skills at local schools and organizations including Head Start and the Syracuse City School District.
- Assist faculty in research, publishing, and editing.
Study AbroadRanked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries, with nearly half of all students going abroad during their four years. English education students most often study abroad in London.
Life After Syracuse UniversityWith an English education degree you can pursue careers such as:
- English teacher
- Textbook author
- Book critic