Long recognized as one of the elite schools of mass communication, Newhouse embraces virtually every known form of information dissemination. Programs are rooted in the liberal arts while you learn how to manage and produce for the mass media and other areas of public communications.
Sample courses for BDJ majors include:
- TV and Digital News Producing and Presenting
- News in a Multimedia World
- Broadcast and Digital Newswriting
- Photography for Broadcast News
- Critical Perspective on News
- Race, Gender, and the Media
- Specialized Reporting (available for sports, politics, and science)
- Communications Law for Journalists
- You will learn on both the local and national level from journalists who work as reporters, anchors, correspondents, and newsroom managers.
- Learning extends beyond the classroom in the three campus radio stations and a student-operated television station, and you can further immerse yourself through internships at news outlets around the country or in Syracuse.
- Build your strengths and explore new ones by participating in more than 40 student-run media organizations on campus.
- Newhouse Broadcast and Digital Journalism alumni work in the local news and sports media, and nationally and internationally at news networks CNN, ESPN, and other news organizations.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through Syracuse Abroad, with more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Public communications courses are offered in London, Beijing, Madrid and Strasbourg. You can also take industry-related courses in New York City or Los Angeles, while working as a media intern, or you can choose to intern in your favorite city anywhere in the country during the summer.
Life After Syracuse UniversityLink
As a Newhouse graduate with a major in broadcast and digital journalism, you can explore such careers as:
- Multimedia journalist
- On-air reporter
- News or sports producer for television, radio, or the Web
- News director
Students are prepared to work in their chosen profession upon graduation. With the help of the Newhouse Career Development Center, which offers career support to Newhouse students and alums, more than 80% of Newhouse graduates are employed with six months of graduation.