Join this exciting career path through our Applied Data Analytics program. You’ll explore machine learning and artificial intelligence. Learn to gather, analyze, and present data effectively. Gain R and Python programming skills. And graduate with the expertise you need to make an impact on any industry. From analyzing consumer behavior in marketing to influencing policy decisions for the government to helping underserved communities at a nonprofit, the possibilities are endless.
Your courses will allow you to take a deep dive into all aspects of data analytics, including:
- Big data analytics
- Data mining
- Information visualization
- Data in society
- Information reporting and presentation
[At the iSchool] I realized I had to find the narrative and present it in terms of what people would connect with, want to know and need to know, so they could make informed decisions.
About the iSchool
Innovation is at the core of the iSchool experience. Our purpose is to examine the role technology, data, and information play in business and society. We prepare students to excel in the workforce of the digital age. iSchool students understand the impact of big data and cloud computing. They study advancements in website design, cybersecurity, data analytics and the future of work. They explore trends in misinformation, data privacy, and equal access to information. And they pursue in-demand jobs across industries, working with companies like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, EY and more.
Core coursework introduces concepts to help you understand data analytics. You can further explore the world of data science during your time at the iSchool by selecting a specialized concentration. Options within the major include:
- Information security management
- Project management
- Network and systems management
- Web design and management
- Digital retail strategies
- Innovation, design, and startups
You can specialize in iSchool coursework or combine your degree with majors from one of Syracuse University’s eight other undergraduate colleges.
Students who select the Whitman dual program often seek a working knowledge of business with the technical training in data analytics to set them apart from standard business school graduates. Those students interested in deepening their understanding of communications consider Newhouse, where they declare one of nine majors, including public relations, broadcast journalism, newspaper, or photography.
The applied data analytics program provides experiential learning and research opportunities outside the classroom so that you graduate prepared for your career in data science.
- Connect with employers through a variety of career-related opportunities such as internships, job shadowing, experiential learning programs, educational road trips, iSchool-specific career fairs, and more.
- Pursue collaborative projects with real-world clients through the NEXIS Lab or iConsult
- Join one of our many research labs and learn from faculty and graduate students exploring new ideas and technologies.
- Spend a weekend, spring break, or a summer learning about companies in places like Silicon Valley, New York City, Europe or Asia through an iSchool trip. Or connect virtually with people all over the world through our TechConnect program.
- Get hands-on experience working in sports analytics and web design with local company SIDEARM Sports.
- Join one of 15+ iSchool student organizations - like Information Security Club, BeIT, Peer Advisors, or Women in Technology - to plan events, participate in competitions, volunteer, connect with alumni, and educate your peers.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with a study abroad experience during your college years. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
iSchool students have studied abroad in Beijing, Florence, London, and Madrid, and at World Partner programs including CEA Prague, DIS Copenhagen, Information Management Technology (Copenhagen), Tel Aviv University, University College Dublin, and the University of New South Wales.
Life After Syracuse University
iSchool graduates go on to have some of the best jobs in the industry, with a 94% job placement rate and average starting salary of $70,061 for the class of 2019.
The applied data analytics major prepares students for roles such as:
- Data Scientist
- Business Analyst
- Marketing Analyst
Applied data analytics majors also have the opportunity to pursue a Fast Track master’s degree with the iSchool’s M.S. in Information Management, M.S. in Applied Data Science, or M.S. in Library and Information Science.