You’ll explore leading edge technologies like artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning. Gain R and Python programming skills. Learn to use visual and computational data science methods. And graduate with the in-demand skills you need to make an impact on any industry. That’s why iSchool graduates have the highest starting salaries and career placement rates of any school at Syracuse University.
Your courses will allow you to take a deep dive into all aspects of data analytics, including:
- Big data analytics
- Data mining
- Information visualization
- Data in society
- Information reporting and presentation
“There is so much potential opportunity and knowledge that can be found out through data. With technology innovating and changing as quickly as it does, it is an incredibly important commodity to understand. Coming to the iSchool has been an amazing opportunity because many schools do not have a major as niche as applied data analytics.” - Gracie Guilette ’24
About the iSchool
Innovation is at the core of the iSchool experience. Our purpose is to examine the role technology, data, and information play in business and society. We prepare students to excel in the workforce of the digital age. iSchool students understand the impact of big data and cloud computing. They study advancements in website design, cybersecurity, data analytics and the future of work. They explore trends in misinformation, data privacy, and equal access to information. And they pursue in-demand jobs across industries, working with companies like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, EY and more.
Core coursework introduces concepts to help you understand data analytics. You can further explore the world of data science during your time at the iSchool by selecting a specialized concentration. Options within the major include:
- Information security management
- Project management
- Network and systems management
- Web design and management
- Digital retail strategies
- Innovation, design, and startups
The iSchool offers two dual major programs to allow you to further personalize your degree. In addition to these programs, you can also combine your studies across any of the university’s schools or colleges.
Deepen your understanding of management, finance, or marketing. Nurture your entrepreneurial side. Or explore topics like retail, real estate, or supply chains. This dual major allows you to combine your technical expertise with a core business degree.
Get the most in-demand skills in the communications industry today, combining technical expertise and a deep understanding of data with a Newhouse major in anything from advertising, to public relations, to broadcast journalism.
The applied data analytics program provides experiential learning and research opportunities outside the classroom so that you graduate prepared for your career in data science.
- Connect with employers through a variety of career-related opportunities such as internships, job shadowing, experiential learning programs, educational road trips, iSchool-specific career fairs, and more.
- Pursue collaborative projects with real-world clients through the NEXIS Lab or iConsult
- Join one of our many research labs and learn from faculty and graduate students exploring new ideas and technologies.
- Spend a weekend, spring break, or a summer learning about companies in places like Silicon Valley, New York City, Europe or Asia through an iSchool trip. Or connect virtually with people all over the world through our TechConnect program.
- Get hands-on experience working in sports analytics and web design with local company SIDEARM Sports.
- Join one of 15+ iSchool student organizations - like Information Security Club, BeIT, Peer Advisors, or Women in Technology - to plan events, participate in competitions, volunteer, connect with alumni, and educate your peers.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with a study abroad experience during your college years. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
iSchool students have studied abroad in Beijing, Florence, London, and Madrid, and at World Partner programs including CEA Prague, DIS Copenhagen, Information Management Technology (Copenhagen), Tel Aviv University, University College Dublin, and the University of New South Wales.
Life After Syracuse University
iSchool graduates are the most in-demand of any school at Syracuse University. With a 98% job placement rate and average starting salary of over $79,000 for the class of 2022, they land rewarding and lucrative careers at some of the world’s most innovative companies, including Amazon, Microsoft, EY, Bank of America, Disney, and more.
Visit the iSchool
Come by for a visit any time, we’d love to show you around! Schedule your visit today, or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re always available to answer any questions you might have.