The program offers opportunities to customize coursework to your unique career interests while preparing you for a job in the information field, including:
- Database structure and management
- Cloud design and infrastructure
- Information privacy and security
- Web design and development
Core coursework introduces concepts to help you understand what information is. They address how businesses organize information, keep information safe, and use information to uncover important insights and solve problems. Concentrations within the major include:
- Information security management
- Project management
- Network and systems management
- Web design and management
- Database management
- Digital retail strategies
You can specialize in iSchool coursework or combine your degree with some majors from one of Syracuse University’s eight other undergraduate colleges.
Students who select the Whitman dual program often seek a working knowledge of business with the technical training in information systems to set them apart from standard business school graduates. Those students interested in deepening their understanding of communications consider Newhouse, where they declare one of nine majors, including public relations, broadcast journalism, newspaper, or photography.
The information management and technology program provides experiential activities and research opportunities so that you can practice management, technology, and communication skills in virtually any industry you choose.
- Connect with employers through a variety of career-related opportunities such as internships, job shadowing, experiential learning programs, educational road trips, iSchool-specific career fairs, and more.
- Pursue independent research projects through the NEXIS (New Explorations in Information Science) Lab, or join one of our many research labs and learn from faculty and graduate students exploring new ideas and technologies.
- Spend a weekend, spring break, or a summer learning about other companies in places like Silicon Valley, New York City, Europe or Asia through an iSchool trip.
- Join one of 15+ iSchool student organizations – like Information Security Club, BeIT, Peer Advisors, It Girls United, or Women in Technology – to plan events, participate in competitions, volunteer, connect with alumni, and educate your peers.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with a study abroad experience during your college years. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., SU Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries. IM&T students most often gain global experience by attending EuroTech or AsiaTech as part of a short-term program or studying for a full semester abroad in London or Madrid.
Life After Syracuse University
The Information Management and Technology degree has consistently high placement rates for graduates, with 95% of 2015 graduates finding employment within six months of graduation. The major prepares students for IT roles such as:
- Systems support
IM&T majors also have the opportunity to pursue a Fast Track master’s degree with the iSchool’s M.S. in Information Management or M.S. in Library and Information Science.