By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

International Student Financial Aid Options

Syracuse University welcomes students from more than 130 countries. On this page, you’ll find merit scholarship and loan information. Federal financial aid is only distributed to United States citizens, permanent residents, and eligible non-citizens.

Who is Considered an International Student?

An international student is a non-resident alien on a non-immigrant visa that permits full-time study in the United States. To receive federal financial aid you must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen ( permanent resident ). A permanent resident is a non-United States citizen who has been given permission to permanently reside in the United States and has been issued the United States Permanent Resident Card. Students with a “Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence” (Forms I-171 or I-464) or an “Application for Voluntary Departure Under the Family Unity Program” (Form I-797) are not eligible for federal financial aid.

Types of Aid

Graduate and Certificate of Advanced Study Programs

Syracuse University’s academic departments and programs may offer international students aid in the form of grants, scholarships, assistantships, fellowships, or prizes. Contact the program or department for information about the availability of merit awards.

International Merit Scholarships (Undergraduates)

Syracuse University offers merit-based scholarships in recognition of exceptional academic and personal achievement. Selection is made by the Office of Admissions and eligibility is based on academic credentials. Eligible students will be notified at the time of admission.

To learn more, contact the  Office of Admissions .



Visit these sites for more information about international student financial aid: