A combination of program-specific courses, professional electives, and liberal arts requirements positions you to turn your passion for sports into a rewarding career in:
- Sport business and finance: Procure and negotiate employment and endorsement contracts for athletes and teams.
- Athletic event planning: Organize and promote games, tournaments, fundraisers and other events on behalf of an organization.
- Facility management: Oversee the operations of major arenas, sporting venues, and other facilities.
- Sports organization management: Coordinate and manage athletic teams and foundations.
Having faculty who genuinely care about the students here at Falk creates an electric atmosphere, and so much motivation has come out of that.
Social justice principles are at the foundation of programs in exercise science, food studies, human development and family science, marriage and family therapy, public health, nutrition, social work, sport analytics and sport management. Academics, service learning projects, internships, research opportunities, immersion travel and clubs connected to our majors prepare students for careers to make a difference in the communities where they will live and work.
Core coursework includes sport law, technology, sales, marketing, communications, data analysis, event management, research methods, professional development, and finance. Sample courses include:
- The Super Bowl: Sport, Culture and Entertainment
- Principles of Sport Management
- Sport Promotion and Sponsorship
- Olympic Odyssey
- Managing the Sports Organization
- Technology in Sport Management
- Sport in American Society
- Psycho-Social Issues in Sport
- Sport Economics
- Los Angeles Immersion
Sport Management (SPM) students develop their skills through a number of unique programs in addition to their academic coursework.
- Complete a full-time, 12-credit capstone away from campus during your senior year with organizations such as the U.S. Olympic Committee, New England Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, IMG, Octagon Worldwide, ESPN, Radegen, Indianapolis Colts, Under Armour, Wasserman Media, UFC, and the PGA Golf Tour, among many others. Learn more about the Senior Capstone Experience.
- Join the SPM Club, the largest student-run organization on campus, producer of the annual Charity Sports Auction to benefit local charities. Learn more about our student organizations.
- Become a general manager and work with Syracuse Athletics as a member of ‘Cuse Crew.
- Join the Women in Sports and Events (WISE) Club to network with industry professionals.
- Learn in-game production, including video, scoreboard, and stadium display operation. (Falk College boasts the only opportunity for undergraduates to train on Daktronics in the United States.)
- Join the student-run Sport Management Sales Club to learn what it takes to become a successful salesperson in the competitive industry.
- Become a member of the award-winning Baseball Statistics and Sabermetrics Club.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with a study abroad experience during your college experience. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
Sport management majors most often go abroad to centers in Florence, London, and Madrid. World Partner programs including CEA Prague, the University of New South Wales, and the University of the West Indies are also available.
Summer programs of interest may include Australia: Sport, History, and Culture, Sociological Perspectives of Sport (Madrid), and Olympic Odyssey (London, Paris, Lausanne, and Athens).
Life After Syracuse University
As a graduate with a degree in Sport Management, you can begin a future as a:
- Promotion director
- Data analyst
- Marketing coordinator
- Sales executive
- Facility manager
- Director of communications
- Ticket sales associate
- Sponsorship director
- Account manager
- Event coordinator
Or, pursue graduate studies in law, communications, or business. Recent graduates of the program have attended some of the top graduate schools in the United States.