Graduates pursue careers in such areas as:
- Public policy: Develop and execute on social laws for the betterment of society.
- Gerontology: Work with the elderly and increase their quality of life.
- Mental health services: Treat those suffering from mental disorders and work to uncover treatments and preventative care.
- Child welfare: Protect children and encourage family stability.
Core coursework includes biology, psychology, and human behavior. Sample courses include:
- Persons in Social Context
- Processes of Aging
- Violence, Bullying, & Trauma: Clinical Perspectives
- Social Work Case Management Practice
- Family Violence: Policy, Practice and Research
- Alcohol and Other Drugs in Social Work Practice
Field experience is a signature pedagogy of social work education. Falk College’s social work program includes ample opportunities for students to develop their skills.
- Study the development of U.S. social welfare on a visit to New York City for the Social Welfare History Tour, sponsored by the Alan B. and Barbara Mirken Foundation.
- Engage in leadership discussions and current major legislative issues with political and governmental leaders during the annual James L. Stone Legislative Policy Day.
- Service the school, students, and the community as a member of the student-run Social Workers United group.
- Attend the annual Social Justice Forum where students honor a member of the community who has provided leadership for social justice in arenas such as poverty, domestic violence, and HIV/AIDS.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with a study abroad experience during your college experience. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., SU Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Social work students most often study abroad in Strasbourg, South Africa, and Germany.
Life After Syracuse University
As a graduate with a degree in social work, you can begin a future as a:
- Case manager
- Habilitation specialist
- Adoption agency administrator
- Mental health specialist
Or, pursue graduate studies in social work, psychology, or counseling. With a bachelor’s degree in social work (BSW), a graduate can also earn a Master’s of Social Work (MSW) in ten months.