Because the program is not tied to a particular career, you’re able to pursue your diverse interests while aligning mathematical experience and expertise with your ultimate goals. Graduates of the program hold positions within computer and computer service firms, chemical and pharmaceutical firms, communication service providers, consulting firms, research laboratories, banks, insurance companies, and Wall Street brokerages.
Core coursework covers calculus, linear algebra, and abstract mathematics. Sample courses include:
- Elements of Modern Mathematics
- Foundational Mathematics via Problem Solving
- Business Calculus
- Differential Geometry
- Elementary Topology
To enrich the coursework, the mathematics major provides a number of hands-on learning experiences.
- Get involved with Pi Mu Epsilon, the national mathematics honor society.
- Take part in the Putnam Competition, a challenging nationwide mathematics contest.
- Participate in faculty research or arrange Independent Study to a specialized topic outside of the standard curriculum.
- Challenge yourself as a Renée Crown University Honors program student.
Build your resume and enrich your experience with a semester abroad. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., SU Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Mathematics students are able to study abroad at a number of centers including those in Madrid, Strasburg, and London.
Life After Syracuse University
With a degree in mathematics, you’ll be prepared for a multitude of professional careers, including:
- Computer scientist
- Financial analyst
- Operations research analyst
Or pursue a graduate degree. Recent graduates of the program have attended many of the top graduate schools in the U.S.