With courses in 3D computer animation, electronic object creation, code-based art, sound design, and sonic art, students work with faculty to find their artistic voice, explore the diverse possibilities of computer art, and develop professional skills. Program alumni work in some of the most prestigious animation and visual effects companies in the world, including Pixar, LucasArts, Blizzard, and Sony Pictures Imageworks.
Home to the visual and performing arts at Syracuse, VPA supports the creative process and professional development. The College is divided into six areas: the School of Art; the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies; the School of Design; the Department of Drama; the Rose, Jules R. and Stanford S. Setnor School of Music; and the Department of Transmedia.
Core coursework is centered on studio concepts, computer animation, and transmedia. Sample courses include:
- Experimental Animation
- Advanced 3D Animation and Visual Effects
- Previz and Character Development for Animation
- History of Animation
- Topics in Electronic Environments
- Visual Effects Workshop
Computer art and animation offers a number of experiential learning opportunities in addition to the coursework for students in the program.
- Take advantage of dynamic internship opportunities including those with Pixar, LucasArts, Blizzard, and Sony Pictures Imageworks.
- Showcase your work at The Redhouse, a nonprofit cultural center in downtown Syracuse.
- Contribute to student-run publications and organizations including 360 Magazine, Citrus TV, and Comm.Unity.
- Work with faculty on research efforts of feminist technology, experimental animation, visual music, artistic data visualization, interactive installations, digital performance, and virtual reality.
Embrace new experiences with a semester abroad during your time at Syracuse. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad offers more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Computer art and animation students generally study abroad in London, Prague, Florence, or Santiago.
Life After Syracuse University
With a degree in computer art and animation you can pursue careers such as:
- Multimedia designer
- Graphic illustrator
- Art director
- Visual effects editor
Or continue your educations and earn a graduate degree in business, design, or film. Past graduates have gone on to many prestigious graduate schools in the U.S.