You’ll choose an emphasis that aligns with your interests to prepare for a career with an ad agency, or in corporate communications, government, or non-profit organizations.
Long recognized as one of the elite schools of mass communication, Newhouse embraces virtually every known form of information dissemination. Programs are rooted in the liberal arts while you learn how to manage and produce for the mass media and other areas of public communications.
Sample courses for advertising majors include:
- Integrated Advertising Campaigns
- The Big Idea in Advertising
- Conceptual and Creative Thinking in Media Planning
- Introduction to Graphic Design
- Diversity and Media Issues
- Portfolio I, II, and III
- Advertising majors have access to more than 40 student-run media organizations, including the Daily Orange newspaper, magazines, a TV station, radio stations, and PR and advertising agencies.
- Join TNH, an award-winning, student-run advertising agency and a student chapter of the American Advertising Federation.
- Connect with advertising executives and other practitioners who come to campus to share their experience and insights.
- The Eric Mower Advertising Forum supports a speaker series that provides practical, workshop-oriented interactions with industry professionals.
- Take part in hands-on internships in Syracuse, New York City, Los Angeles, and across the county.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through SU Abroad, with more than 100 programs in 60 countries. Public communications courses are offered in London, Beijing, Madrid, and Strasbourg.
Life After Syracuse UniversityLink
As a Newhouse graduate with an advertising degree, you can explore such careers as:
- Advertising account manager
- Art director
- Advertising sales
- Creative director
- Market research analyst
- Media buyer
- Media planner
With the help of the Newhouse Career Development Center, which offers career support to Newhouse students and alums, over 80% of Newhouse graduates are employed within six months of graduation.