The email standards are yet to be established. While many of the brand guidelines are provided here, full establishment of our brand identity is an evolving process. Check here for updates about email standards and additional resources in the coming months.
Email body text should be set in Trebuchet MS, 11 pt, RGB 51/51/51 (#333333). Email clients that describe text sizes in pixels (e.g. Apple Mail) should be set in 15px. The Outlook Web App (exchange.syr.edu) should be set in Trebuchet MS, 12pt, as 11pt is not an option on that platform.
Outlook for Windows
Change the default font by going to “File,” then “Options,” and choose “Mail” in the list of options in the pop-up window. Click the “Stationery and Fonts” button and type in “Trebuchet MS, 11 pt.” for all three types of messages—new mail messages, replying or forwarding messages, and composing and reading text messages.
Outlook for Mac
Change the default font by going to “Outlook Preferences,” then “Personal Settings,” “Fonts,” and “Default Fonts for Composing.” Set “Trebuchet MS, 11pt.” for all three types of messages—new mail messages, replying or forwarding messages, and composing and reading text messages.
Copy/paste the following template into the Signature field in your email client’s settings. Then, modify the content to reflect your personal information.
See Formatting your Email Signature for additional guidance or if you lose any of the formatting when copying/pasting this template.
T 315.443.1111 M 315.443.2222 F 315.443.3333
Address, Syracuse, NY 13244
- Job titles and departments should be comma separated for those with dual appointments or multiple areas of responsibility.
- The T / M / F abbreviations should be removed from signatures that include only one phone number.
- While it is necessary to make distinctions between telephone numbers and fax numbers, it is no longer necessary to call special attention to an email or Internet address.
- Abbreviations should always be used for street addresses: Rm. (Room), Ste. (Suite), Ave. (Avenue), St. (Street), Pl. (Place), Rd. (Road), N., S., E., W. (North, South, East, West).
- The link to syracuse.edu may be replaced with a more specific division/department URL.
- Modern email clients add hyperlinks to URLs and email addresses automatically. It is not necessary to add these links manually.
- See Sample Email Signatures for information regarding the use of preferred pronouns, alumni class years, social media links, and persistent messaging.
In addition to fonts, colors, sizing, and content, the following guidelines should also be considered:
- Avoid the use of background images and background colors. Keep it simple and use a white background to ensure accessibility.
- Avoid including inspirational quotes, unless they speak to an approved University campaign.
- Only include contact information relevant to your position.
- Use your commonsense. Your signature does not need to be included in every message, especially when it is a part of an ongoing conversation.