For students who must enter quarantine or isolation, the University has a team of people here to assist throughout this experience. Below is a general summary of the quarantine or isolation experience. Please note that guidance or services may change and students should refer to the comprehensive resource guide provided at the time of assignment by the COVID Project Management Office for the latest information. Students are encouraged to share copies of the resource guide with their parent(s) or supportive family member(s).
Each student will be connected with a Syracuse University staff member, referred to as a “pod leader,” who will provide additional support, answer any questions and serve as the main point of contact for all non-medical and non-emergency related issues. Pod leaders are available afterhours and on weekends for the duration of quarantine or isolation. They reach out to students within 24 hours of being assigned to quarantine or isolation.
Barnes Center at The Arch (medical and mental health care)
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.– 5 p.m.
Saturday, 10 a.m.– 4 p.m.
(24-hour support is always available for a mental health crisis, sexual assault or relationship violence support, or medical consultation with an on-call provider.)
Dean of Students Office (academic coordination and student support)
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
COVID Project Management Office
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Department of Public Safety
In emergencies, please call 911 or DPS at 315.443.2224
Engagement and Activities
Professors will be notified that the student will not attend any in-person classes. Students are also encouraged to communicate directly with professors about alternative options for in-person participation. Students may also contact Dean of Students Office to work with a Case Manager to determine the best pathway to meet your academic needs.
General Quarantine and Isolation Procedures and Protocols
In alignment with the Stay Safe Pledge and Code of Student Conduct, students must adhere to all quarantine and isolation protocols. Students who fail to comply may be referred to the Office of Community Standards. Protocols include:
- Stay in the designated quarantine or isolation location as directed by the Barnes Center and/or COVID Project Management Office (PMO). Those who need to see a healthcare provider can call the Barnes Center at The Arch at 315.443.8000 to make an appointment and ask for medical transportation.
- Wear a face mask if leaving their room or picking up contactless deliveries.
- No outside visitors are allowed during the quarantine or isolation
- Stay at least six feet away from others at all times.
- Wash your hands often, for at least 20 seconds each time, with soap and water. If unavailable, use a hand sanitizer containing 60-95% alcohol on all surfaces of your hands.
- All students in quarantine will need to get a saliva surveillance test on approximately day 6 or 7 of the quarantine period. Instructions are provided by the Syracuse University COVID PMO prior to this date on how and where to obtain this test. Negative results are provided via email. If a positive test result is received, a Barnes Center staff member will contact the student.This test is for monitoring purposes only and will not end the quarantine period if it comes back negative.
- Quarantine or isolation orders are sent to syr.edu email accounts, which will include an anticipated release date. The day prior to the release date, a Syracuse University contact tracer will contact the student to provide instructions on ending quarantine or isolation.
Additional information regarding laundry services, garbage, facilities, food services, activities or package drop-off and delivery services are provided in the location-specific guidance or through the pod leader.
Health, Wellness and Pharmacy Information
During the isolation period, a medical provider from the Barnes Center will periodically call students to check in on their health and well-being. If at any point symptoms worsen or students need medical care, the Barnes Center is available at 315.443.8000. The Barnes Center is available 24/7 at 315.443.8000 to assist any student with mental health emergencies, sexual and relationship violence support, and medical consultation with an on-call medical provider. A Syracuse University contact tracer will periodically communicate with students during the quarantine period. Students must respond to Barnes Center or contact tracing outreach. For students in isolation, an Onondaga County Health Department official may also be in touch during this time.
The Barnes Center Pharmacy delivers prescriptions and pharmacy retail items to students in quarantine and isolation. To fill/refill a prescription, contact the Pharmacy at 315.443.5691 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Patient Portal to request a refill. To order pharmacy retail items, contact the Pharmacy or place your order online by visiting the virtual pharmacy in the Wellness Portal.
Students need to provide a contact number and select a pickup method. However, a Pharmacy staff member will contact them to review the order. At that time, students should inform the staff member they are in isolation or quarantine. Orders will be delivered at the designated isolation/quarantine location and charges are applied to the Bursar account.
If an item is not available online, contact the Pharmacy to place the order or if ordering with other items, students can add an item when a Pharmacy staff member contacts them to review the order.
Deliveries are made once in the morning and once in the afternoon, Monday-Saturday.
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information about COVID-19.