For students who must enter isolation, the University has a team of people here to assist throughout this experience. Below is a general summary of the isolation experience. Please note that guidance or services may change and students should refer to the comprehensive resource guide provided at the time of assignment by the Barnes Center for the latest information. Students are encouraged to share copies of the resource guide with their parent(s) or supportive family member(s).
Each student will have outreach from an Isolation manager —a Syracuse University Staff member—who will provide additional support and serve as the main point of contact for all non-medical and non-emergency related issues. Isolation managers are available afterhours and on weekends for the duration of isolation. They reach out to students within 24 hours of being assigned to isolation.
Barnes Center at The Arch (medical and mental health care)
Monday–Friday, 8:30 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.
(24-hour support is always available for a mental health crisis, sexual assault or relationship violence support, or medical consultation with an on-call provider.)
Student Outreach and Retention (academic coordination and student support)
Monday–Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Department of Public Safety (DPS)
In emergencies, please call 911 or DPS at 315.443.2224
Engagement and Activities
There may be virtual programs and events happening! Stay connected and visit the University Events Calendar, Cuse Activities portal and Wellness Portal for all the virtual offerings.
Professors will be notified that the student will not attend any in-person classes. Students are also encouraged to communicate directly with professors about alternative options for in-person participation. Students may also contact Student Outreach and Retention to work with a case manager to determine the best pathway to meet your academic needs.
General Isolation Procedures and Protocols
In alignment with the Stay Safe Pledge and Code of Student Conduct, students must adhere to all isolation protocols. Students who fail to comply may be referred to the Office of Community Standards. Protocols include:
- Individuals should notify all close contacts following a positive test.
- Stay in the designated isolation location as directed by the Barnes Center. Those who need to see a healthcare provider can call the Barnes Center at The Arch at 315.443.8000 to make an appointment and ask for medical transportation.
- Wear a well-fitted N95, KN95 or surgical mask if leaving their room or picking up contactless deliveries.
- No outside visitors are allowed during the isolation
- Stay at least six feet away from others at all times.
- Wash your hands often, for at least 20 seconds each time, with soap and water. If unavailable, use a hand sanitizer containing 60-95% alcohol on all surfaces of your hands.
- You will be sent an email to your syr.edu account prior to day 6 with modified isolation guidelines. If exiting isolation prior to day 10, wear a well-fitted N95, KN95, or surgical mask while around others through day 10. You may return to class but should limit gatherings and extra-curricular activities.
- All students in isolation are encouraged to fill out Onondaga County Self Attestation forms to keep for their records.
Additional information regarding laundry services, garbage, facilities, food services, activities or package drop-off and delivery services are provided in the location-specific guidance or through a QI manager.
Health, Wellness and Pharmacy Information
If at any point during your isolation period, symptoms develop, worsen, or you need medical care, the Barnes Center is available at 315.443.8000. The Barnes Center is available 24/7 at 315.443.8000 to assist any student with mental health emergencies, sexual and relationship violence support, and medical consultation with an on-call medical provider.
The Barnes Center Pharmacy delivers prescriptions and pharmacy retail items to students in isolation. To fill/refill a prescription, contact the Pharmacy at 315.443.5691 or email@example.com, or visit the Patient Portal to request a refill. To order pharmacy retail items, contact the Pharmacy or place your order online by visiting the virtual pharmacy in the Wellness Portal.
Students need to provide a contact number and select a pickup method. However, a Pharmacy staff member will contact them to review the order. At that time, students should inform the staff member they are in isolation. Orders will be delivered at the designated isolation location and charges are applied to the Bursar account.
If an item is not available online, contact the Pharmacy to place the order or if ordering with other items, students can add an item when a Pharmacy staff member contacts them to review the order.
Deliveries are made once in the morning and once in the afternoon, Monday-Friday.
Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page for additional information about COVID-19.