Read the pledge, then click “Take the Stay Safe Pledge” button at the bottom of the page.
As Syracuse University and Central New York continue to manage COVID-19, including this summer’s emerging BA.5 subvariant, the Stay Safe Pledge will be modified, as needed, to respond to changing conditions as well as health and safety directives then in effect from federal, state, and local public health officials. All members of the Orange community are expected to take an active role in promoting the safety, health and well-being of every campus community member. That means abiding by all health and safety directives and encouraging others to do the same. We must all do our part to keep ourselves, our peers, our colleagues and all Syracuse University community members safe, especially those who may be more vulnerable than us.
As a member of the Orange community, I am committed to keeping myself and the Orange community healthy and safe from the spread of COVID-19. I pledge to take the following actions:
How to Keep Myself Safe
- Provide valid documentation of COVID-19 vaccination and booster (or exemption) to the Barnes Center prior to my return to campus or within one week of eligibility.
- Wash my hands regularly.
- Monitor my health for symptoms of COVID-19 and notify the Barnes Center if I exhibit symptoms.
How to Keep the Orange Community Safe
Wear an effective mask as defined by the CDC and avoid use of gaiters, masks with valves, and face shields while masking on campus.
- Wear an effective mask as defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) when required by University COVID-19 directives, and avoid use of gaiters, masks with valves, and face shields when masking on campus.
- Wear a mask in all healthcare spaces on campus including the Barnes Center at The Arch.
- Respect people’s decisions to wear masks even in spaces where it is not mandated.
- Comply with all CDC domestic and international travel guidelines for any personal travel.
- Adhere to all directives and University guidance if I need to be isolated.
- Don’t attend in-person classes or participate in activities if exhibiting any symptoms of the COVID-19 virus, awaiting diagnostic test results, or test positive for the virus.
- Immediately notify the Barnes Center of a positive COVID-19 test result if receiving a test not provided by the University.
- Immediately and honestly participate in contact tracing as may be requested.
- Encourage others, including campus visitors, to follow these terms.
- Follow all health and safety directives from University officials.
- Follow directives from the CDC, New York State, and/or local authorities that may be in effect during the semester.
The safety of our community is a shared responsibility, and my actions can put myself and others at risk. I understand that whether or not I take this pledge, failure to comply with these directives may result in a referral to Community Standards for violation of the Code of Student Conduct, which governs individual and group behavior on and off campus. Sanctions for violating COVID-19 directives may be found on the Community Standards website.
We recognize that some students with disabilities may need to modify some aspects of this pledge. Students who believe they may not be able to adhere to these protocols for disability-related reasons should contact the Center for Disability Resources to request a reasonable accommodation. Email: email@example.com. Phone: 315.443.4498.