Student and Family Information

Food Services: As the result of a New York State order, Syracuse University closed its dining halls and fitness centers, effective 8 p.m., March 16. Food service, in the form of take-out options, is available to students. The latest information can be found by visiting the Food Services webpage.

Barnes Center Services: Students seeking health care and counseling services at the Barnes Center at The Arch are asked to first call 315.443.8000 to schedule an appointment. Appointments are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. On-call services remain available after hours. Additionally, all counseling appointments will now be held over the phone.

Barnes Center Pharmacy: Starting Monday, March 30, in-person hours will be extended to Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Phone consultation is available by calling 315.443.5691, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.; staff will be on-call during weekends. For more information about services and hours, visit the  Barnes Center website.

Virtual Health and Wellness Resources: The Barnes Center at The Arch has implemented additional virtual resources and services to promote mindfulness, connection, healthy activity and involvement.

Virtual Student Engagement and Services: Across the University, services and resources have been adapted to a virtual setting and remain available, including through the Division of Enrollment and the Student ExperienceHendricks Chapel and the Center for Learning and Student Success. Visit the University Events Calendar for the latest virtual events and Cuse Activities for student organization virtual events.

Bookstore convenience and grocery deliveries: The Syracuse University Bookstore has moved its convenience and grocery offerings online. Students can shop for food staples, snacks and pantry items on the Bookstore’s website, and staff will provide free University-area contactless delivery every Tuesday and Thursday.

Retrieving Belongings from University Housing: In a March 17 message to students and parents, Amanda Nicholson, interim deputy senior vice president for enrollment and the student experience, provided details to students and their families concerning the following options for retrieving belongings still in University residence halls:

  • you can register via the MySlice housing portal to come to campus and pick up your belongings by Sunday, March 22 at 9 p.m.;
  • you can have your belongings packed and shipped/stored; or
  • you can leave your belongings in your current residence hall room or South Campus apartment for pick up at a later date.

Policy on Room and Board: Syracuse University will provide a prorated reimbursement of room and board payments to students who vacate University housing. We have developed a process for students and families to request room and board refunds. To the extent there is an outstanding balance due on a student’s bursar account, the refund would be applied toward the balance first, before a refund is issued.

Internet and Technology Support for Students: We are acutely aware that some individuals may require financial support to purchase computers/laptops for remote access and to cover internet costs. Students on financial aid who need to purchase computers for remote access because they do not have one may submit a Financial Aid Appeal to cover this cost. Contact KC Woods, associate director of financial aid, at or 315.443.1513 if you have questions.

Center for Learning and Student Success (CLASS): CLASS services are being moved online. This includes academic coaching, individual tutoring and academic integrity case management, including hearings. Most, if not all, regularly scheduled group tutoring will also continue online. Details are available on the CLASS website

Virtual Resources for Student Services: While residential instruction is suspended for the remainder of the semester, student services remain available. Visit the Virtual Resources web page for a summary of hours, contact information and additional support.

Student Employment: With more than 6,000 student employees, we recognize student employment provides important skill development, hands-on learning opportunities and income for our students. As such, Student Employment Services encourages on-campus employers to find remote work, where possible, for student employees who leave campus while residential instruction is suspended. Supervisors can exercise discretion in scheduling, but we ask that every effort be made to provide students who want to work with their regular weekly hours between March 23 and at least April 17. If you have questions, please contact Student Employment Services at or 315.443.2268.

Additional Resources for Students and Families

Information for International Students

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Student and Exchange Visitor Program recently announced accommodations for international students studying in the United States. International students can continue their studies online and/or as distance learning in the United States or abroad without negatively impacting their student (F-1) or scholar (J-1) status. Student immigration records maintained by the Center for International Services will remain active as long as students continue to remain registered full time. Any questions or concerns regarding your status may be directed to

We appreciate and recognize that many of our students will be unable to travel home as they had previously planned. We are working with our schools and colleges, and with others to help accommodate the evolving needs of this important part of our campus community. Our international students continue to worry about their family, friends and loved ones from afar.

The Center for International Services continues to offer care and support to these students. It can be reached by calling 315.443.2457 or email

If international students leave, what happens if their home countries prohibit return travel?

International students can request accommodations to continue their academic work for the semester online until they are able to return to the U.S. Questions about coursework should be directed to the student’s faculty members or their school or college academic advising office. International students who have questions about their Visa status or international travel may contact the Center for International Services at 315.443.2457.

How will you support international students who may be unable or unwilling to return home during the summer due to the virus?

For our graduating seniors, we are working to build pathways to graduate enrollment, allowing them to keep their visas and advance their education. For matriculated students, we are identifying summer housing, classes and work opportunities, should they choose to stay in Syracuse.

What are you doing to help new international students planning to attend Syracuse University in the fall?

While we still have more than two months left in the Spring 2020 semester, we are already preparing for the arrival of our new students. Many international students planning to attend Syracuse University in the fall are already seeking the University’s support in anticipation of their arrival. As such, Student Experience, particularly the Center for International Services, Academic Affairs and others are working to provide personalized support to those individuals beginning their academic careers at Syracuse later this year.

If international students leave the United States, will they be allowed to re-enter?

Currently the United States government has suspended entry into the United States of non-citizens who were physically present in Iran or China during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. This means that students who leave the United States may be unable to re-enter. It is important to note that U.S. consular services in China are currently suspended for regular visa services, including the US. Embassy in Beijing and the U.S. Consulates in Chengdu, Guangzhou, Shanghai and Shenyang.

Additional Resources for Students and Families