- What is Own the Dome?
- Who can attend?
- How do I register for Own the Dome and Spring Reception?
- What should I bring?
- What shouldn't I bring?
- What should I wear?
- Where will I sleep?
- How much does the Own the Dome event cost?
- Where will the students shower or freshen up in the morning?
- What do I do with my belongings after Own the Dome when I go to the Spring Reception?
- Where will students/families arrive for the Own the Dome program?
- What will the parents do?
- Is transportation to Syracuse provided?
- Will students be allowed to leave the Carrier Dome during the Own the Dome program?
- What if a student needs to leave the Dome before the program ends?
What is Own the Dome?
An overnight event designed to give admitted students an opportunity to be acquainted with each other and with current students, faculty, and staff, in a unique environment—the Carrier Dome!
Who can attend?
Only admitted students who have pre-registered and their family members may attend the program. Only admitted students will be spending the night in the Dome – family members will leave the Dome after the welcome and everyone will regroup the next morning for the Spring Reception. Students must be at least 17 years of age to participate.
How do I register for Own the Dome and Spring Reception?
What should I bring?
- Sleeping bag
- Blanket or flat sheet to place between your sleeping bag and the turf
- Personal items/toiletries (Students who arrive without the necessary personal items will be provided with a blanket and towel)
- Change of clothes
- Comfortable shoes/sneakers for walking around campus during Monday’s Spring Reception.
- If you take prescribed medication, be sure to have the appropriate amount of medication with you for Sunday and Monday.
Syracuse University will not be responsible for any lost personal items.
What shouldn't I bring?
- Personal electronic devices (other than your cell phone)
- Valuable personal items
- Drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or other tobacco products (smoking is strictly prohibited inside the Carrier Dome)
- Pocket knives, sharp objects, or any type of weapon
- Any other items you don’t wish to keep track of throughout the event.
- Food and beverages (all meals will be provided)
What should I wear?
Dress casually and bring layers! Be sure to check the Syracuse weather forecast prior to leaving home. April weather in Syracuse can range from being warm during the day (in the 70s) to cool at night (in the 30s).
Where will I sleep?
Admitted students will sleep on the field of the Carrier Dome in sleeping bags. The sleeping area will be arranged to provide each student ample space and comfort. If you choose to leave before 7 a.m., you will need to be signed out by a parent or legal guardian at Gate A.
How much does the Own the Dome event cost?
There is no charge to the admitted student or their families to participate in this event.
Where will the students shower or freshen up in the morning?
Students will also have space to freshen up, change, and prepare for their day in the Carrier Dome. Students whose parents/guardians are in a hotel on or close to campus may choose to go to the hotel in the morning to get ready for the day.
What do I do with my belongings after Own the Dome when I go to the Spring Reception?
Students should plan to bring their belongings with them when leaving the Dome on Monday morning. However, students traveling alone may store their bags in the Dome, and will be able to retrieve their stuff when they come back to the Dome for lunch. Bags must be picked up by 1 p.m.
Where will students/families arrive for the Own the Dome program?
Students and families should plan to arrive in Syracuse beginning at 5 pm. Parking will be available Manley Field House.
What will the parents do?
After the Vice Chancellor and Provost welcomes the admitted students and their families at the Carrier Dome at 7 p.m., families will be escorted to the shuttle buses to go to Manley Field House where your car is parked (if you drove). If your parents registered for the Family Dinner, they will proceed inside Manley Field House.
Is transportation to Syracuse provided?
Free bus transportation is available only for admitted students who have already reserved a seat on the bus running round-trip from New York City to Syracuse. Only the admitted students who have reserved a seat will be allowed on the bus and seats are for the admitted student only. Parents and family members of admitted students who have reserved a seat on one of the buses will need to arrange for their own transportation.
Will students be allowed to leave the Carrier Dome during the Own the Dome program?
For safety and security reasons, registered students will not be allowed to leave once they’ve checked in for the program. The entire Own the Dome program for students will take place inside the Dome, including the sleepover. Students will have access to everything they need inside the Dome, including food, bathrooms and shower facilities. Syracuse University Ambulance and emergency response personnel, Office of Admissions and Syracuse University staff, Carrier Dome Security Staff, and staff of the Department of Public Safety will all be present for the entire program.
What if a student needs to leave the Dome before the program ends?
Any student that wishes to leave before 7 a.m. will be able to contact their parent/guardian to pick them up at the Gate A of the Carrier Dome.