These programs are administered within each of the University’s academic departments, so the fastest and easiest way to determine what aid you may be eligible for is to connect with specific school or college staff.
- Federal Unsubsidized Loans for master’s, professional, and doctoral students are available annually for up to $20,500 (see eligibility requirements).
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan is also offered as a financing option.
- You’ll need to apply for federal aid before the end of your term of enrollment.
Managing Your ApplicationLink
After you’re admitted to Syracuse for graduate/professional study, you’ll receive instructions for accessing MySlice, your secure virtual gateway to life at Syracuse. Your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List will house your Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Application and requirements.
Begin the federal aid application process by following the instructions on your To Do List. Your official notice of aid will also be viewable on MySlice.
Applying for Federal Financial AidLink
Students entering Syracuse University:Link
- Summer 2018, start at Step 1 below
- Fall 2017/spring 2018, complete Steps 2, 3, 4 below
Step 1: For Summer AidLink
- Please complete a 2017–2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid if your program begins in the summer, or if you plan to continue your enrollment for summer.
- After filing the FAFSA, complete the Syracuse University Financial Aid Summer Graduate Application available in April on your MySlice To Do List.
Step 2: For Academic Year AidLink
Please file the 2017–2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid by July 1 for fall/spring aid. Note: If you filed the 2016–2017 FAFSA for summer enrollment and will continue through to the fall semester, you also will need to file the 2017–2018 FAFSA for the academic year.
Please complete the Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Application on your MySlice To Do List.
When your completed FAFSA and Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Applications are received, your MySlice Financial Aid will be updated with the amount(s) of your federal loan eligibility:
- Students attending summer session will be updated beginning in April.
- Students admitted for the fall semester will be updated beginning mid-April.
- Currently enrolled students will be updated beginning mid-June.
Please note that federal financial aid will disburse to your Bursar account when all financial aid and admission requirements are met, including receipt of official degree bearing transcripts.
Certificate of Advanced Study Programs (CAS)Link
Federal loans are available to support most CAS programs. Students apply for the Federal Direct Loan program as an undergraduate.
The following loan eligibility limits are available (if a student has not already exceeded the maximum undergraduate aggregate borrowing limit):
- Dependent students: $7,500 per academic year
- Independent students: $12,500 per academic year
To apply, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the Syracuse University Graduate Financial Aid Application, available on the MySlice Financial Aid To Do List. For entering students, this becomes available after you are officially admitted to your certificate program.
Independent Study Degree Programs (ISDP)Link
The University College Financial Aid Office processes aid for ISDP programs.
Renewing Financial AidLink
Students with graduate awards should contact their graduate academic department directly for information about renewing the award.
To renew federal financial aid, graduate students who are permanent residents or U.S. citizens must:
- Annually file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Annually complete the Graduate Financial Aid Application found on your MySlice Financial Aid To Do list
- Be matriculated in a degree program
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress standards
- Enroll in a minimum of six (6) credits each term that are required for your degree program
- If enrolling for summer, complete the online Summer Application found on your MySlice Financial Aid To Do List