About the College of Arts and Sciences and the School of Education
College of Arts and Sciences
The founding college of Syracuse University remains at the center of undergraduate learning. The College is divided into the natural sciences and mathematics, the humanities, and the social sciences, with the lattermost offered in partnership with the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
School of Education
The School of Education is a national leader in enhancing educational practice. A pioneer in the inclusion movement, the School of Education continues that tradition through its work to improve urban education.
CoursesCore coursework highlights curriculum development, educational leadership, and teaching methods. Sample courses include:
- Methods and Curriculum in Teaching Science
- Adapting Instruction for Diverse Student Needs
- Teacher Development in Science
- Assessment and Data-Driven Instruction
- Safe and Healthy Learning Environments
Official Major Requirements
- Science Education, Biology B.A.
- Science Education, Biology B.S.
- Science Education, Chemistry B.A.
- Science Education, Chemistry B.S.
- Science Education, Earth Science B.A.
- Science Education, Earth Science B.S.
- Science Education, Physics B.A.
- Science Education, Physics B.S.
Practical ExperienceStudents enrolled in the science education major participate in multiple out-of-class learning experiences to complement their coursework.
- Teach children in urban, suburban, and rural settings in extensive field placement.
- Attend the Frontiers in Science lecture series and weekly high school enrichment workshop.
- Gain in-class experience teaching in classrooms around the world through short-term study abroad programs.
- Work alongside faculty on various experiments, testing, and research.
Study AbroadRanked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad has more than 100 programs in 60 countries, with nearly half of all students going abroad during their four years.
Life After Syracuse UniversityWith a science education degree you can pursue careers such as:
- Science teacher
- Textbook author
- Biological scientist
- Technical writer
- Environmental educator