You’ll keep pace with the rapidly changing technology that has transformed this industry, while maintaining the passion and integrity that have made journalism a calling for generations of reporters. You’ll be prepared to report, write, and edit, as well as produce visual content for the ever-growing online platforms and print media.
Long recognized as one of the elite schools of mass communication, Newhouse embraces virtually every known form of information dissemination. Programs are rooted in the liberal arts while you learn how to manage and produce for the mass media and other areas of public communications.
Sample courses for newspaper and online journalism majors include:
- Multimedia Storytelling
- News Writing and Reporting
- Visual News Reporting
- Web Journalism and Innovation
- Virtual Reality
- Specialized Reporting in a variety of fields, including politics, urban affairs, sports, and international
- Communications Law for Journalists
- Diversity and Media Issues
- You can contribute to on-campus publications, such as The Daily Orange, Syracuse’s award-winning student-run newspaper.
- Create content for the NewsHouse, the campus news, sports, and entertainment website created by Newhouse students.
- Internships are an important part of the Newhouse student experience. An engaged alumni network, a proactive Career Development Center, and “finding an internship” seminars all provide valuable leads for career-launching internship experiences.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through Syracuse Abroad, with more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
Life After Syracuse UniversityLink
As a Newhouse graduate with a newspaper and online journalism major, you can explore such careers as:
- Digital journalist
- Sports writer
- Wire services reporter
- News editor
- Managing editor
With the help of the Newhouse Career Development Center, which offers career support to Newhouse students and alumni, over 80% of Newhouse graduates are employed within six months of graduation.