While you learn the rudiments of good magazine writing, you’ll bring out your individual style as you craft a story through scene description, dialogue, anecdotes, and other vehicles for drawing a reader into a story.
You’ll also learn how to write and edit for multiple platforms, both print and the ever-expanding variety of online media. You’ll have the opportunity to develop audio-visual skills in graphic design, as well as expand your social media abilities.
- An Introduction: Editorial, Ethics, and the Business of Magazines
- Social Media for Communicators
- Beauty and Diversity in Fashion Media
- Web Journalism and Innovation
- Magazine Article Writing
- Magazine Editing
- Critical Writing
- Multimedia Projects
- Newhouse faculty work closely with you, critiquing your work in detail and sharing their own expertise gleaned at national magazines, newspapers, and websites. Your senior capstone project will be the embodiment of your hard work in the form of a magazine or writing portfolio.
- Your skills will grow as you become involved in any of the 18 student-run campus magazines, where you can create magazine content focusing on popular culture, music, fashion, social issues, food, sports, health, travel, and more. You’ll be encouraged to pursue professional internships at national magazines to set the stage for your future success in a competitive field.
- Magazine majors often spend a semester in the Newhouse in New York City program and have interned at publications such as Cosmopolitan.com, Martha Stewart Weddings, New York Magazine, HGTV Magazine, and Elle.
- You’ll have the opportunity to take part in the Bill Glavin Magazine Trip, spending three days in New York City mingling with editors at top magazines, networking with alumni, receiving resume critiques, and attending panel discussions with experts.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through SU Abroad, with more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
Life After Syracuse University
As a Newhouse graduate with a magazine major, you can explore such careers as:
- Mobile and emerging platforms editor
- Digital journalist
- Sports writer
- Style and beauty director
- Multimedia specialist
- Social media editor
- Managing editor
- Staff writer
With the help of the Newhouse Career Development Center, which offers career support to Newhouse students and alumni, over 80% of Newhouse graduates are employed within six months of graduation.