Twenty-first century journalism demands diverse skills in order to craft compelling stories across platforms. The Newhouse School’s magazine, news and digital journalism program teaches you how to reach your audience, no matter where they are while maintaining the passion and integrity that have made journalism a calling for generations of reporters. You’ll be prepared to report, write and edit, as well as produce visual content for ever-growing online platforms and print media.
Long recognized as one of the elite schools of mass communication, Newhouse embraces virtually every known form of information dissemination. Programs are rooted in the liberal arts while you learn how to manage and produce for mass media and other areas of public communications.
Small class sizes mean you’ll receive detailed feedback from your instructors and benefit from their professional experience.
Sample courses include:
- Multimedia Storytelling
- Visual Thinking for Digital Magazines
- Race, Gender and the Media
- Communications Law for Journalists
- Social Media for Communicators
- You can contribute to on-campus publications such as The Daily Orange, Syracuse’s award-winning student-run newspaper, or any of the 18 student-run campus magazines, where you can create content focusing on popular culture, music, fashion, social issues, food, sports health, travel and more.
- Create content for the NewsHouse, the campus news, sports and entertainment website created by Newhouse students.
- Internships and immersion trips are an important part of the Newhouse student experience. An engaged alumni network, a proactive Career Development Center, and “finding an internship” seminars all provide valuable leads for career-launching internship experiences.
Broaden your perspective and enhance your resume with an international experience through Syracuse Abroad, with more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
Magazine, news and digital journalism majors most often go abroad to Syracuse University centers in London, Madrid, and Strasbourg, and to our World Partner programs AMIDEAST Area & Arabic Language Studies (Amman, Jordan), CEA Prague, and Tel Aviv University.
Summer programs of interest may include Race, Gender, and the Media (London), and Travel Writing and Multimedia in Madrid.
Life After Syracuse University
As a Newhouse graduate with a newspaper and online journalism major, you can explore such careers as:
- Digital journalist
- Sports writer
- Wire services reporter
- News editor
- Managing editor
With the help of the Newhouse Career Development Center, which offers career support to Newhouse students and alumni, over 80% of Newhouse graduates are employed within six months of graduation.