About the School of Education and VPA
The School of Education
The School of Education is a national leader in enhancing educational practice. A pioneer in the inclusion movement, the School of Education continues that tradition through its work to improve urban education.
The College of Visual and Performing Arts
Home to the visual and performing arts at Syracuse, VPA supports the creative process and professional development. The College is divided into six areas: the School of Art; the Department of Communication and Rhetorical Studies; the School of Design; the Department of Drama; the Rose, Jules R. and Stanford S. Setnor School of Music; and the Department of Transmedia.
CoursesCore coursework covers studio art, methods of teaching art, and curriculum development. Sample courses include:
- Special Topics in Foundation Drawing
- Special Problems in Art Ed
- Methods and Practice in Teaching Art
- Philosophy & Foundations of Art Education Practice
- Arts and Ideas
Practical ExperienceThe art education major offers learning opportunities outside the classroom for students as a supplement to the coursework.
- Participate in an Art in New York City MAYmester course.
- Attend Syracuse’s University Lectures and Syracuse Symposium events.
- Teach art to children ages 5 to 15 in weekly workshops.
- Student teach in a variety of classroom settings at local schools.
- Network as a member of the Syracuse University Student Art Education Association.
Study AbroadSupport your resume and expand your perspective with a study abroad experience during your time at the University. Consistently ranked among the top 25 international education providers in the U.S., Syracuse Abroad offers more than 100 programs in 60 countries.
Life After Syracuse UniversityWith a degree in art education you can pursue careers including:
- Art director
- Recreational therapist
- Art teacher