Syracuse University

Transfers and Transfer Credit

Transfers and Transfer Credit


You might seek to have courses completed at other schools, colleges or universities count towards your graduate degree at Syracuse University. This section addresses frequently asked questions about transfers and transfer credit.

  • What is transfer credit?
  • What are the general rules about transfer credit?
  • How do I file for Transfer Credit?

Current Students -> Adding or Changing a Program at SU

If you are considering adding or changing a program at SU, you are either considered a potential "internal admit" or a "internal transfer" depending on your circumstances:

Internal Admit Students

You are considered an "internal admit" if you are a current SU student. If you wish to pursue a concurrent degree; are presently completing one degree program and wish to pursue another; or wish to be admitted to the doctoral program in the same program of study in which you are currently pursuing a master's degree you will need to submit a Internal Admit Form.  Please contact your department for further information and to complete the necessary form. 

The Graduate Internal Admission Application form requires authorizing signatures from your current department and your new department. When complete, the form should be sent to the Graduate Admissions Processing, 716 E. Washington St, Suite 200.

If you have not completed a graduate program at Syracuse University within the last 12 months, you should submit a new graduate application form by visiting

Program Transfer Students

You are considered a "Program Transfer Student" and should use the Graduate Program/Plan Transfer Form if you are seeking to transfer/change from a current graduate degree program to a different graduate degree program. You¿ll need to obtain signatures from both your new and old departments. When complete, the form should be sent to the Student Records Office, located on the First Floor of Steele Hall.