Syracuse University

Financial Aid - How to Apply

Undergraduate Students

Syracuse University offers financial aid in the form of merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and student employment, as well as student and parent educational loans. Syracuse University will award students financial aid to the extent that funds are available.

Application Requirements

Scholarships are awarded to students only at the time of admission to recognize prior academic achievement; no separate application is required for merit-based scholarships.

To apply for federal financial aid, students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  School Code 002882

Students wishing to apply for Syracuse University Grant must also file the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE.  School Code 2823

There is a fee associated with filing the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE. Fee waivers are available from the College Board, and are granted automatically as the PROFILE is completed, to U.S. citizens, or eligible noncitizens, who are first-time college applicants and are from families with limited income and asset.

Other forms that may be required
Noncustodial PROFILE (NCP)
Income Tax Documents

Do not send income tax documents to SU unless we request them. If we need income tax returns or other documents, you'll hear from the College Board directly because we use the College Board's Income Documentation Service (IDOC).


Dates and Deadlines

Be sure to meet the filing deadlines to receive all the aid for which you're eligible!

How To Fill Out The FAFSA

View the Department of Education's helpful video about completing the FAFSA.

Need Help Completing Aid Applications?

If you need help completing your financial aid applications, seek help at your high school guidance office, or college financial aid office.  Be wary of organizations that charge a fee to submit your financial aid application or to find you money for college.

Part-Time Students

If you are a part-time student (enrolled in less than 12 credit hours), please visit University College Financial Aid Office's web site for information on financial assistance.