Syracuse University

Financial Aid - How to Apply

Determining the Custodial Parent

The custodial parent is defined as the biological/adoptive parent that the student lived with more during the 12 months prior to applying for aid, per federal regulations and Syracuse University policy.

If the student lived with neither parent during the prior 12 months, or lived equally with each parent, the custodial parent is the parent from whom the student received more financial support during the past 12 months, or during the most recent year that the student received support from a parent.

In determining custodial parent status, it does not matter which parent claims the student as an exemption for tax purposes.

Dates and Deadlines

Be sure to meet the filing deadlines to receive all the aid for which you're eligible!


When filing the FAFSA and PROFILE you will need the following codes:

FAFSA code: 002882

CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE code: 2823

Income Documentation Service

Does SU need a copy of my tax returns?  If we need income tax returns or other documents, you'll hear from the College Board directly-we use the College Board's Income Documentation Service (IDOC).

Need Help Completing Aid Applications?

If you need help completing your financial aid applications, seek help at your high school guidance office, or college financial aid office.  Be wary of organizations that charge a fee to submit your financial aid application or to find you money for college.

Part-Time Students

If you are a part-time student (enrolled in less than 12 credit hours), please visit University College Financial Aid Office's web site for information on financial assistance.